1. Short films must not run longer than 20 minutes including titles and credits.
2. Only digital copies submitted through FilmFreeway can be considered by Catalyst FF. Applications should include a brief synopsis (30-50 words) and a high res image.
3. All submissions must be accompanied by a list indicating which diversity criteria your film has met. See the section below on Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Standards. If films are submitted without this information they will not be considered and the application fee will not be refunded.
4. Catalyst FF does not pay screening fees for any of the short films submitted or selected.
5. Submission Deadline February 7th , 2020. All films must be submitted in final form and ready for screening. Submission fee is 25$ and 20$ for students.
6. EARLY BIRD: 15$ – until January 7th.
7. Only films completed after January 2018 can be considered.
8. Student films must be submitted with a valid Student I.D. in order to avail of the reduced submission fee.
9. If the film is not in the English language it must have English subtitles hard-coded.
10. Music and image rights must be cleared for all films.
11. Submissions can be included in all promotional material and publicity.
12. Entry fees are non-refundable.
13.By submitting to Catalyst FF you are accepting all the festival regulations and procedures.
Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Criteria
Catalyst Film Festival draws loosely on the British Film Institute’s (BFI) Diversity Standards to select films for festival screening. The underrepresented groups we are prioritising for inclusion are listed here:
- Social and economic exclusion
- Sexual Orientation
When submitting, applicants must explain how their film contributes to reducing underrepresentation in the film industry in two areas: A) on-screen, B) creative leadership.
A) On-screen representation, themes and narratives: if your film has a lead character/s or at least two secondary character/s in the underrepresented group list OR has a storyline or subject matter about an underrepresented character/s or group it qualifies for consideration for the festival.
B) Behind the Camera Representation: If at least one member of your film’s key creative team – writer, director, producer, cinematographer, editor – is on the underrepresented group OR two or more crew member it qualifies for consideration for the festival.
Please note this is not a definitive list and we would welcome queries about films that address under-representation in areas not mentioned here.